Sunday 20 September 2009

Of drunkeness and suprises

I have a bit of a cold, headache and a funny taste in my mouth. Worst, I have a sore throat. Two of the things I love doing the most are talking and singing, so you can imaginesore throats make me a little depressed. that

Went to Hayley's mum's birthday party last night, along with Hayley and Emi (who by the end of the night had been re-christened Jerk and Dipshit.) Everyone got REALLYthe one who doesn't drink. I got offered loads, but I kept on saying no. The drunk... except me, only good personality trait I have is that I don't give in to peer pressure. I wasn't about to give it up! Anyway, it was the most fun I've had in ages despite feeling ill, so many thanks to Hayley's family for organising it. And Emi, please don't eat the ceiling, I can imagine it tastes like crap.

(Drunk & Lovely)

Last night was also the last gig of the Nightwish tour, and needless to say, there is video evidence of how incredible it was.
Their most recent album, Dark Passion Play, has two tracks on it called Amaranth and For The Heart I Once Had. Apparently these were supposed to be bonus tracks, but ended up on the album, one because a later B-Side Escapist wasn't finished in time. The other song was meant to be a kind of Nightwish-esque take on Michael Nyman's The Heart Asks Pleasure First, which, being a cover of sorts, they had to get permission to release. Which they didn't. Anyhow, this is the original.

Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First

I absolutely LOVE this piece of music, and, despite being a massive Nightwish fan, kind of assumed that their version wouldn't be all that great, just because... well... Nightwish don't really do simplicity. Anyway, they don't have permission to release the thing, but they're still allowed to play the recording at shows, which they did for the outro last night.

OH. MY. GOD. It's incredible.
Yeah it's not all that true to the original, but still! I'd been expecting that it would be bad, and then I got the most pleasant surprise ever! So the moral of the story is, if you expect the worst, everything good will always feel even better!


Nightwish - The Heart Asks Pleasure First

You can't hear it all that well, but you get the general idea. Minä rakastan sinua!
Lyrics go something like:

"Silent nights surrounding me
On the shore of wistful sea
My kindest heart made me believe
The promise I wish it to be

We´ll bear the wait
Years for your heart
Little hideaways for a lonely heart

Cast away into the sea
The good in me, the child within
The cruelest heart made me forget
In moments I wish it to be

Hold inside my last fire
You will conquer death by dawn
Slave to the toil, this mortal coil
Risked by the siren that voyage

We'll bear the wait
Years for your heart
An end for winter morn
Calling us, the sirens of the dark

Frozen moments in time
Little hideaways, the meadow of life
Little hideaways for a lonely heart

We'll bear the wait
Years for your heart
Little hideaways for a lonely heart

Silent nights surrounding me
On the shore of wistful sea
My kindest heart made me believe
The promise I wish it to be"

Peace & Love

No comments: